READING: Game Elements

Ok so for this weeks reading, we read about game elements , what are the qualities of games was one of the articles , the academic paper was about game design research and for this week we also got a video to help us engage more with this task.

https://tudublin-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/shaun_ferns_tudublin_ie/EWlNUos7p8lFgRytGr80kbYBzMrZ6rnlKTegFJnnr_fSLg?e=3kRB39 

For the article , it goes through 10 different "atoms" each talked about individually and in detail. Each part is just as interesting and you learn how necessary it is in a game. Take players for example, it goes through example player structures such as 1v1 or free for all, some of them I have never heard of before such as 5 pointed star. The objectives one was also very interesting and gave me many ideas for my own game, the chase /race/escape one is probably my favorite as of right now.

https://tudublin-my.sharepoint.comThe academic paper was again long and very detailed , not something I enjoy reading. Like the last academic paper there was a lot of old references, there was a few new ones from 2015 but the majority where quite outdated like the 2001 ones. But overall it is a good paper , it highlights many problems in the games design community but also states some solutions. For example "approaching game design as design research could revolutionize the way we see game studies " it could also lead to many great collaborations in the gaming industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQY1OfDc-I&feature=emb_titleThe video was great this week , it was nice to have something different this week as i find the reading difficult at time. Prototyping you game is a great idea I never thought of when creating my game. Doing this "hands on" testing of your ideas is excellent  to spark your brain into more ideas and you will develop your ideas much better. The two people in the video gave great insights and motivation towards game design and honestly made me feel a bit better and more confident then before hand.

                                                      Image by Memed_Nurrohmad from Pixabay 


Comments

Popular Posts