Game Idea Brainstorm

Ok so for my game ideas I have put in a good amount of research and narrowed it down to 4 potential ideas all very different to each other and vary in technical skill needed to create a game somewhat similar.

I have chosen An adventure game , an fps shooter game, a racing game and a endless runner type of game. I think I can definitely work with these 4 areas as they are all games I myself enjoy playing so to create a game based on one of these areas would be fun and interesting. Now , I will go into depth explaining each game. Up first is...

A Racing game , I have many good examples of this and I feel that it is definitely possible to create a low poly racing game or even a futuristic Tron like game. I probably spent the most time on this area as I kept on finding great tutorials on YouTube and racing games have always been my go to games to play when I'm bored whether it be on the Xbox playing a realistic game such as Forza Horizon or playing a more basic fun game such as Art of Rally which is such a simplistic and relaxing game so before even starting my research I had a basic idea on how the game mechanics work and what makes racing games enjoyable. I then looked up racing games that used Unity in the making of them , I found an excellent video on YouTube from the creator of Rocketpods Cyber Octane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qE8GY6djpw which is available on itch.io, the game is a fast paced racing game set in space and is very aesthetically  pleasing and relaxing to play the creator gives an excellent overview of everything that went into making the game, even how he created the spaceship pod , so after watching the video I felt as this is something I would definitely use as inspiration in creating my own idea for my game .The game is very simple, its just race around the track and try and the fastest time, in my own game I would like some more challenging maybe task based challenges to keep the player focused on playing the game.

I also found another tutorial on YouTube of a low poly racing game , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVV3eUE5zM, this is a 4 part tutorial which is very detailed , however he uses Blender and Unity3D, which I am not sure if we aloud to yet. But this is another great example of the sort of game i would like to create myself , I feel as tho this one will be more challenging to tackle however I believe in my abilities and now I am willing to learn an with a lot of planning I think it  is possible.

Another example is actually from the Unity website https://learn.unity.com/project/karting-template it focuses more on moding the game itself but it is useful for learning more about racing games and also the aesthetic of it is defiantly something I want to create myself. 


                     Screenshots of the RocketPods games website here https://goodgis.itch.io/rocketpods-cyberoctane

A Endless Runner Game, taking inspiration from some of the most popular mobile games of all time , such as temple run and subway surfers, two of my personal favorite mobile games. I remember spending countless hours on them trying to beat my high score, it was so addicting. So again before even starting i have some idea of the game mechanics and what makes it a fun game , its not just an endless runner game , you need tasks and challenges to complete along the way.
I have watched a few videos on this type of game and it seems to be a bit more challenging then a racing game , mainly because there is so many moving parts and so many more mechanics you need to take into consideration such as player jumping, side to side , the obstacles, the constant moving scene and so much more. 
I found an example which I love however it uses Unreal Engine 4 to create which I believe is a slightly more advanced software for game creation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQqjKbhLkE&t=54s  it is a stunning beautiful low poly game which involves a character simply jumping from truck to truck, I love the low poly aesthetic and will defiantly use it as inspiration when it comes to the design and appearance of my game.  Another game I found unfortunately using unreal engine 4 again is a simple coin runner game but it has a basic system and is something I think I could create on unity , but as of right now I am unsure how to create a character which can move , duck and jump but I'm sure I can learn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF2aQ4Et33o
When it comes to the actually coding and game mechanics which are involved in a endless runner game I found a great tutorial on YouTube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8QMuFPK4v0&t=1s unfortunatley I was trying to find part 2 of the tutorial but couldn't find it so it might be a bit challenging in fully creating a game when I don't have all the knowledge on how to make it but I'm sure with a bit of research I will be capable of creating my own version of an endless running game.
Whilst reading over this part I just found an amazing example of a endless runner game that is a tutorial of 8 parts, so is extremely detailed and helped me so much in my planning of my own endless runner game and makes me somewhat hopeful that I create my own one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YFqhrEeYQ&list=RDCMUCRMXHQ2rJ9_0CHS7mhL7erg&index=7.
                               Screenshot of endless runner game example by the Youtube Jimmy Vegas found here 
               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YFqhrEeYQ&list=RDCMUCRMXHQ2rJ9_0CHS7mhL7erg&index=7

 A Fps Game, a very broad game area I know however I will be talking about a Fps shooter game as this is again one of my favorite game styles and there is many ideas which you can create in this one game area. Yes, I know I wont be crating the next call of duty or Halo but If i can create a game that moves around , shots bullets and is fun to play I will be more then happy with that. This type of game might be the hardest of the ones I haven chosen, as there is ALOT involved, when you ask me how I would tackle this i would be a bit lost however with a lot of planning and good designing I think i can create a playable game . I would begin by creating the world setting it's in to make sure the game at least look good then work on the movement and objectives to the game. There is many examples on YouTube but many I feel are way out of my possibility of creating as of right now. I found this good fps microgame video tutorial on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE3ZJ_tCGTo&t=838s and it is a very interesting look into how to create your first fps game, however I believe he uses pre-made packs to create his world setting and building and don't think we would be aloud do this with our project so I would have to create everything from scratch maybe in blender, which adds a lot of workload to my project . I did however find a great tutorial on First Person Movement in Unity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QajrabyTJc which is a superb example and honestly helped me so much in understanding how to make the movements so nice and clean to use, and after watching it I feel slightly more hopefully that i could potentially make a game of this sort.

A Adventure Game, definitely one of my more ambitious ideas but IF, just if I ,could pull it off I would be so proud of myself however I know it will be very challenging especially being new to Unity but I can hope, so before I even start just remember this is my big "if " idea the one that will challenge me the most and give me the most headaches. Ok so some of my favorite games are always adventure/exploration indie type games such as Sea of Solitude and The Long Dark both are so aesthetically  pleasing and fun to play that it would be amazing to create something even somewhat close to what they are. Now , how would I tackle this , well I have the fps movement tutorial linked above which could also be extremely helpful if I decide to create a first person camera type of adventure game , so now we have player movement started we need to move onto the world setting as this is what adventure games rely on most. I found this tutorial on terrain building in unity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smnLYvF40s4 which is a good start at least on building world , what I think will be challenging is that a lot of these tutorials use asset packages they download which I am not sure if we can use in our project , I will have to check if I decide to advance with this idea. Now that we have player movement and terrain started , it's onto the actual point of the game , is it going to have a story or simply just be an exploration game with a few simple tasks , and if I am being honest I at the moment have no idea how to implement these ideas. Done right, this would be my favorite game to create but i think there is just way to much work involved that I would end up getting overwhelmed and might not possibly even create a working game. But on the off chance i do choose this idea I think it will be a fun game to create and play and would be a great challenge to my abilities. 

Comments

  1. Hi Craig, love your ideas. For the racing game you could add some sort of obstacles on the track to keep the player engaged with your game or you could make the track have some serious bends in the road. As for the FPS game, the ideas are pretty much endless. You could create a doom style game where you could be slaying hordes of whatever you choose to add to your game or you could create a more tactical style shooter somewhere along the lines of Counter Strike or Rainbow six Siege where you could be battling terrorists or disarming bombs. I can't wait to see what kind of game you will create.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts